Our country is not just Cuba; our country is also humanity

Today while hurricane Sandy is keeping me indoors I looked over my photos from Cuba for the millionth time thinking “how on earth do I share this amazing experience with people?!” A question that has been on my mind everyday since I set foot in Cuba. For weeks now I’ve been writing, trying to find the right words, but everything I write seems to fall short. Each time I suck at writing I then look over the photos I took of the joyful people, the magical scenery and all the feelings of Cuba come rushing back. Which leads me to wonder, if a picture is worth a thousand words, for now can I simply use my photographed memory to share the inspiration I felt in Cuba?

I loved taking photographs in Cuba! Cubans, as a whole, are a very proud group of people, they love to be photographed. Their lives are openly displayed for everyone to see, 90% of their waking time is spent outside, the other 10%, while they’re inside, all the doors and are open for people to see in. It was not uncommon to see a group of old men playing dominos on a makeshift table along the side of the street, at any time of day. All people young and old seemed genuinely happy, even though they have what we would consider to be nothing. The joyous old man in the last photograph came up to my friends and I and started to serenade us with “Hey Jude”.

Stay tuned to see the captivating children of Cuba in a post tomorrow.

16 thoughts on “Our country is not just Cuba; our country is also humanity

  1. I can relate to your difficulties of putting memories and feelings into words. I struggle with that constantly. One thing you did word wonderfully was the innate happiness of the Cuban people. It shows in the photos and it shows in the recollection of your time spent there. I found the same happy factor during my travels in India. It’s true what they say – money cannot buy happiness. -Rene

    • Hi Rene, relieves me to know I’m not the only one who struggles with that! Thanks for the feedback on my post, Im glad I was able to convey their happiness to you. I’m compiling pictures of the kids now, they were magical to watch, so sweet, innocent and full of fun! When were you in India? It is definitely on my list of places to travel to. Keep smiling and sharing! NL

    • How often do you visit Thomas? I would love to go back! Where do you usually go while you are there? My favourite places were Baracoa and Trinidad, I felt so calm and serene there. Thanks for following, I’d love to see some of your photos if you have any.

      • I try to visit one to two times a year depending on time and cost. I have been throughout a good portion of the country, though usually visit Holguin. My last two visits were to Varadero. I haven’t been to Trinidad but is one of the places I really want to visit. I have a lot of photos none are uploaded on the computer. Once I get around to it I can let you know.

      • Cool! I flew out of Holguin for a flight back to Havana. Have never been to Varadero, Im sure it would be as amazing as the rest of the country though. I went diving for the first time in Trinidad so it holds a special place in my heart. Will be posting pics from it in the next week. I would definitely love love love to see your photos of Cuba when you pop them up somewhere. Cubans have the most expressive faces, I absolutely love it!

      • I thought I would let you know that I decided to add a photo section on my blog, I figured this was the best way for the moment to display some of my photos. If you go to my blog, I think you can just click my name, you will see the photos section up in the top right. There are a few Cuba photos along with some others. As I have time to go through more I will add more. Hope you enjoy!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s