In March 2014, while on a yoga retreat in Costa Rica, I purchased a dreamy coconut oil based body butter. It smelt delicious, and felt like luxury on my hands. As I was getting closer, and closer to the bottom of the jar I was getting more, and more anxious about what I would do when it eventually ran out. Then I realised, I had the recipe in my hands! After a little googling, and some trial and error, I was able to make a perfect replica of my favourite body butter.
- Lavender Oil – 20 drops
- Coconut Oil – 3/4 cup
- Bee’s wax – 1/2 cup
- Vitamin E Oil – 1 teaspoon
- Castor Oil – 1/4 cup
Things you will need:
- 1 Mason Jar
- Fork or Spoon
- Mixer (optional)
1. Add coconut oil, castor oil and bee’s was to the mason jar. Place the mason jar in a pan of water on the stove. The water should come about 3/4 the way up the jar.
2. Turn the stove on so that the water is simmering. Occasionally stir the oil and wax until all the oil and wax have melted and mixed together.
3. Remove the Mason Jar from the heat and allow it to cool, stirring it every so often.
4. Once the oil has started to cool and slightly thicken, add the Vitamin E and lavender oil.
5. Continue stirring until it has thicked. If you have access to a mixer, whip the mixture until it is light and fluffy.
6. Store in an airtight container, apply liberally and with love.
If you’ve ever had one of my mini massage adjustments in savasana – this is the body butter I use.